Hobgoblin Folky Links Page
- Chris Timson's Concetina FAQ
- Concertina.net - Paul Schwartz's comprehensive site
- Wes Williams' concertina Dating Article
- Noel Hill, the leading Irish Style player, and his school
- Don Nicholls, Concertina Specialist
- Yorkshire Concertina Club - A get together for Yorkshire concertina players of all abilities.
- John Kirkpatrick's notes on playing the Anglo Concertina.
- Concertina History Page Neil Wayne's original work edited by Howard Mitchell.
- Free Reed Magazine and Concertina Newsletter back issues.
- Accordions Worldwide
- Accumulated Accordion Annotations A page full of mostly American Accordion links
- Fred Dunn's Links Page Links to Accordion sites.
- Melodeon.net - Loads of resources for melodeon players (including many keyboard layouts) compiled by John Spiers (Squeezy, to his friends).
On-line community for accordionists, accordion teachers, accordion repairers, and publishers of accordion music.
- Rambing House - Melodeon info and Links
- Accordionist.Net - Resources for Accordion Players
- London Harmonicas - Harmonica group that meets twice a month in London.
Strings & Frets
- Acoustic Magazine UK's first magazine dedicated solely to acoustic guitars and associated stringed & fretted instruments.
- UKBanjo.com Good site mainly aimed at bluegrassers, but includes an excellent history of British banjo makers.
- ezFolk.com Great site for bluegrass banjo and guitar people, tab etc. and loads of good links.
- A-Chord A shareware chord finder program suitable for any 3 to 6 course instrument. (now with annoying popup windows)
- Balkanfolk seminar on Bulgarian Foklore. Nice section on Balkan Instruments.
- The Fado Guitar FAQ
- Tremolo The Norwegian Mandolin and Balalaika Society site.
- Harp.Net Irish site listing harp events, and links to other Irish Harp related sites.
- Fiddlefork.com Loads of Fiddle related stuff.
- Musicalsaw.com Not strictly a stringed instrument, but we couldn't think where else to put this one! A website all about musical saws. You can buy them there too.
- Playthesaw.co.uk A UK website dedicated to the Musical Saw. Lessons offered also.
- Great Banjo sites, human verified - Directory of banjo related websites.
- ChordFind.com A really useful chord finder site for guitarists and 4 string banjo and mandolin players.
- Michael J King Loads of interesting info on making and playing unusual fretted instruments.
Whistle and Flute
- Chiff and Fipple The leading web site on everything to do with Whistles (USA)
- Whistling Low The Low Whistle site.
- A Guide to the Irish Flute Brad Hurley
- Fine Boxes Hand made and custom made flute cases by Fine Boxes
- The Flagolet Site - Lots of information about the Flagolet.
- Irish pipes workshop Seth Gallagher's site tells you about the art of reedmaking.
- Northumbrian Smallpipes Encyclopaedia
- Uilleann Pipe Information List
- Cornemuse Gallery A nice gallery of photos of French bagpipes and those from neighbouring regions.
- The Didgeridoo Links List Hudreds of Didge links. But also some nasty pop up ads.
- Didgeridoo Cultural Hub | iDIDJ Australia An informative Australian site with a cultural angle.
- Bagpipe Site Directory - Loads of links to bagpipe sites, and bagpipers worldwide!
- Samba In Britain & Ireland Everything you could want to know. All the bands are here.
- Bodhranii A bodhran players discussion forum.
- Russian Folk Musical Instruments Shop Website devoted to Russian Folk Instruments, including woodwind, accordion and percussion.
Djembe and African Drums History - African drums information and
history. Djembe, Bongo, Bougarabou,
Kpanlogo, Bata and other african drums.
- The Guitar Zone Pretty useful USA based site with lots of guitar related links
- Hawaiian Slack Key guitar information and links to Hawaiian sites.
- Yamaha Forums Forum & Reviews website run by a Hobgoblin Customer.
- Classical Guitar World Lots of information about classical guitar history & players.
Ethnic Instrument Sites
- Pakistan Studies Descriptions and pics of Pakistani traditional instruments.
- 26 Traditional Chinese Instruments Descriptions and pics of Chinese traditional instruments.
- Hobgoblin's Glossary Lists all the folk instruments we know of in the world with a brief description of each.
On Line Folk Magazines|
- Folk Roots Leading UK Folk magazine.
- The Living Tradition National Coverage, with a Scottish bias.
- UK Folk Music Magazine A new magazine covering all aspects of folk in the UK
- Musical Traditions Internet Magazine
- Tradition Magazine Traditions in general, not just music. Established title new to the web in 2001.
- Real UK Music Lots of info on all genres of music including folk. Bands, Venues, Festivals etc.
- British Bluegrass Music Association Not strictly a magazine, but some useful info.
- Accordion Times and News - Website for the magazine and also a good source of information on Accordion Festivals.
- Taplas the leading Welsh folk magazine
- Sussex Folk Diary Day by day listing of all the folk events in Sussex.
- Folk London Listings for the London area.
- Tykes News (West Yorkshire Events)
- Stirrings (South Yorkshire Events) A bit out of date.
- Folkwrite (Folk music in the Mid-West [of England!])
- EFN Magazine Links Ads and listings for Essex and East London.
- Flaxey Green A magazine / resource site for Folk music in South Devon
- The Folk Mag A pretty good West Midlands magazine with good links page.
- East Midlands Folk Pages a good resource focussed on Notts, Derbys, Lincs, Staffs & Warwks.
- FolkFax UK folk magazine with the emphasis on the Midlands.
- Bluegrass South East regional magazine with lots of links.
- Irish Music Magazine
- Dirty Linen
- Sing Out!
- Mudcat Cafe USA Folk & Blues magazine, includes the Digital Tradition database.
- Mugwumps Instrument Magazine Helped me out in our early days with a nice feature! Still around, but only online not in print.
- Roots World World Music magazine
- FolkWorld This has separate sections in German and English
- Gadki z Chatki - English version of the magazine devoted to Polish Folk Music.
Traditional Dance Websites|
Other Folky Websites|
- Folking.com An
international database of folk performers, events and resources.
- Folk Roots
List from EntsWeb A very good source of links to folky sites of
- Root Source
is a substantially expanded, and constantly updated online version of
the Folk Directory, a publication produced annually by the EFDSS for
the past 35 years.
- EFDSS Home
Page The English Folk Song and Dance Society.
- CDSS Home Page
(American Country Dance Society)
World Music Site
- Folk Southeast
Events and links to folk stuff in South East England, maintained by
Music Project John Adams' research project into English music, at
Starting a Folk Club - useful page of advice distilled from a newsgroup
- FolkClub Online's
purpose is to provide a meeting place where folk fans world-wide can
share ideas and experiences, gather up resources and be entertained.
Barker's Homepage Listings of all his books and recordings.
The Folk On Line Directory of Events and Recording Order Listings !!
- The Vaughan
Williams Memorial Library Home Page The repository of much of England's
folk music & dance heritage.
on at Cecil Sharp House The HQ of the EFDSS.
folk and traditional music on the Internet Martin Nail's excellent
catalogue of resources.
The North East England Folk Arts Organisation. Also go to Our Folkworks for more information about Folkworks activities.
- SEFAN The South
East England Folk Arts Organisation
- The Northumbrian
and Roots A kind of magazine site with London events and other folk
- The Whole
Wide World Traditional music CDs
- Folk on
Radio 2 Excellent source of information on artists, tour dates,
and other folky news.
- Folk and Country
at the BBC Information about folk related events on radio and TV.
- Welsh Traditional Music Sessions, links, discussion group and tune exchange.
- Little Pot Stove Records - Retailers of folk music on CD and Vinyl
- Music Song Poetry based around the regulars at the Bromborough Folk Club.
- Folk And Roots A guide to the folk and acoustic scene, with information about UK folk gigs, folk concerts and folk festivals.
- Sprial Earth - Reviews, Festivals, Artists, Links, Etc.
General Folk Newsgroups|
Artists and Bands|
This section is for Musicians who are connected in some way with Hobgoblin Music, or whose sites have a link to Hobgoblin. Please book these acts!!
- Sarah Mallinson & Debbie Warren Sarah is an accomplished and versatile singer, and works in Hobgoblin Music Leeds shop.
- Blackthorn Band Sussex based Celtic and Folk four piece, featuring Pete and Mannie McClelland, Hobgoblin's founders.
- ThingumaJig! Sussex, Kent & Surrey based Ceilidh and Barn Dance Band, featuring Pete & Mannie McClelland.
- Montana Rain Americana five piece band including Nicola Rain and Pete McClelland.
- Pinalou - Laid back Jazz/Dancefloor band featuring Dominik and Cris from Hobgoblin Bristol.
- Malarchy - Gypsy, Klezmer & Eastern European music from Bristol based band featuring Cris Pierssene from Hobgoblin Bristol.
- The Original Hot Punch - Yorkshire based ceilidh band with Russ Flemming from our Leeds branch
- Northern Celts - London based band playing traditional Irish, Scottish and English music. Jacky Hynes who workes on and off in our London branch is a member.
- Kin'sha - Hybrid trad/urban band, of which Mark McCabe in our Birmingham branch is a member.
- The Father Teds - Lively pop/ Irish party band. Mark McCabe, Birmingham manager, plays Accordion.
- Trio Gitano - Jamie Fekete from our Birmingham branch is part of this trio, who perform Jazz, Latin and Flamenco music.
Staff Dance Teams
- Broken Ankles Appalachian Dancers, featuring Chris Rudd our warehouse manager, and Matt French the Crawley repairman.
- Persephone West Yorkshire women's side. Sarah Mallinson plays and dances. (Link currently not working)
- Rampant Rooster Morris - Surrey Mixed side. Neil McRitchie plays melodeon.
- Spen Valley Longsword - Traditional Yorkshire longsword team featuring Leeds' Russ Flemming (since 1974!)
Our Music Friends
- John & Liz Scholey Regular Callers with Pete & Mannie's ceilidh band ThingumaJig. Also offer line and latin dancing.
- Ray Sargent An excellent and friendly barn dance caller, occasionally works with Pete & Mannies's Blackthorn Band.
- Paul Sartin Editor of the Hampshire Dance Tunes book published by Hobgoblin, and well known musician with Bellowhead and Faustus.
- Pugwash Band Kent based Ceilidh Band, featuring Neil McRitchie from the Hobgoblin Music Crawley shop.
- Nick Pynn Great fiddler, guitarist and dulcimer player, part time member of Blackthorn Band when not touring with the likes of Arthur Brown, Robert Plant etc.
- Martyn Wyndham Read Martyn is one of our favourite singers, and was inadvertently influential in the setting up of Hobgoblin in an outbuilding on his family's farm.
- John Scott Cree Includes the Phatt B's homepage. John has been an occasional member of ThingumaJig as well, and his son Joe worked in the Crawley shop 1999 to 2000.
- Flying Toads Sussex based Irish Music Band.
- Richard Durrant Outstanding Classical Guitarist, closet folky and comedian. One of our first customers in 1976.
- Contraband Kent based Barn Dance Band
- Shave the Monkey
An eclectic mix of Folk, Rock, Jazz and dance music.
- The Silver Birch Folk Band North Lincolnshire Ceilidh Band.
- Durty Linen Nottingham based Irish Music Band (not connected with Dirty Linen Magazine!)
- Bracken Rigg Band South Yorkshire based Barn Dance band.
- Inclognito An excellent site for this clog dance outfit.
- Revue de Bresse Folk concert and dance band from the Bresse area of Eastern France.
- Empty Vessels Folk Rock band from South East England.
- Kathryn Tickell A very informative non-official site on this top Northumbrian Piper's Music.
- Dempsey's Lot Birmingham based Irish Music Band.
- Waldorf String Band Top South African traditional and folk band.
- Licence to Ceilidh "Fast and Furious" London based Ceilidh band.
- Free Spirit Band West Country based Ceildih band.
- Graham White Singer/Songwriter from the Isle of Wight.
- Dochas Band Czech Republic based Irish music band.
- Reckless Elbow - Five piece acoustic band from the Wirral.
- Perriot - Breton band based near Doncaster
- Runt o the Litter - Band featuring Irish singer Mandy Green
- Restless Music - Featuring Penny Davies and Roger Iliot, an Australian folk duo.
- Blazing Strings - Sussex based band playing Old-Time, Irish, Swedish, Klezmer, Bluegrass.
- Granny's Hair UK Folk Roots Punk band, featuring Matt Szul, ex-Hobgoblin.
- The Glenhoulachan Midgie Club Ceilidh Band Scottish / Celtic folk and Ceilidh band.
- Heather Hawthorn Nottingham based Accordionist, can provide a Ceilidh band.
- Bernard Cromarty - Manchester based singer and musician.
- 1916 - Wild Irish Band based in lincolnshire play all over the world
- Killorglin - Traditional irish Band
- Bellows Scratchitt & Pluckitt - An East Midlands based Ceilidh / Barn dance band.
- Boys from the Hill - Urban Welsh folk group
- Tommy Martin - Ulileann piper based in St Louis, Missouri
- Shaun T. Hunter - Winner of the Hobgoblin Acoustic & Roots award (of the Leeds Music Awards) 2006
- Julie Ellison - Singer/Songwriter
- Juliette Daum - Concertina Player
- Tara Ganwar - Crawley Singer Songwriter, and regular Hobgoblin customer!
- Celtic Knot - Irish Celidh band featuring Alex Percy, Phil Wilcox, Tess Livingstone and Sarah Mooney.
- MK Dohl - A group of Drummers aged 8-18 who practice together at a friendly and energetic music workshop.
Musician's Organisations & Resources|
- The Musicians'
Union Now has a folk & roots section.
- Find me the
Sound Excellent database of musicians, bands, live music and more!
Get yourself added to this site!
- MusicLink Impressive database of music related contacts and links
- Hybrid Studios Detailed listings of artists, dancers, actors, musicians, makers, technicians, tutors, writers, performers. Add yourself for free!
- Two in a Bar
- A growing source of information on the two-in-a-bar problem.
for Music - Campaigning against PELs
Music Services - John Pitts, a Bristol based composer, who offers
composing, typesetting and arranging services.
- Keytempo - Another good online source for locating musicians and groups worldwide.
- Salamander Music - An entertainment agency run by musicians. Incorporating The Any Event Barndance and Ceilidh Co.
- Teachers At Home - Music teachers agency.
- Wed 2 Music - Directory of professional wedding entertainers, musicians, venues, bands etc.
- Across the Pond - Details of Folk, Country and Blues radio shows across the UK.
- Folk on the Radio - UK - Another list of Folk Radio programmes in the UK.
TAXI - the world's leading independent A&R company helping unsigned bands, artists and songwriters get record deals, publishing deals and placement in films and TV shows.
- Gigall.co.uk - Great site for listing your gigs, or finding gigs near you! Excellent resource for bands in it's early stages. Add your gigs or venues to this growing database!
- Folknews.net - A site dedicated to folky news.
- Toby Amies - Top notch photography for bands and musicians.
- The Folk Directory - Searchable (& growing) database of clubs, sessions and festivals in the UK. User maintained - add the clubs and sessions you go to.
- Sheet Music Man - USA based website selling sheet music.
- The Session - Great place to swap traditional tunes. A great mix of the familiar and the new.
- ABC Tune Finder - Find tunes published on the web in ABC format.
- Creating the Band - A service for
musicians who are looking to join bands/ensembles.
- SoundAwesome - Community website for bands and musicians to publish and share their music, and meet like minded musicians
- Shevsound - Sussex based, specialising in the recording of any type of group or ensemble on location in and around the South East.
- Lighthouse Studio - Lighthouse Studio is a Premium CD Mastering Studio located in North London, UK, offering the highest quality Redbook Audio CD Mastering.
- Kuu Studios - London based recording studio & other musical services.
- AmberWyvern Records - Studio which specializes in the production, distribution, and sales of Celtic, Medieval, and Renaissance style music.
- Shay's Studio - Recording Studio close to Galway City, Eire.
- Solitaire Residential Recording Studio in Kingscourt, Co. Cavan, Ireland.
Educational Resources & Workshops|
- Hands on Music Excellent workshop series run by Dave Townsend at Witney - Sponsored by Hobgoblin Music
AORTAS (Association for Oral Traditions and Songwriting) is a Milton-Keynes-based association set up to support and promote original songwriting and the traditional music of the British Isles and Europe through concerts, workshops and networking opportunities. Please visit the website to register for the songwriting workshops
- The University of Stirling's Summer School Programme Not much info on the site, but a good range of musical activities appear to be covered.
- The Folkworks workshops page
- The Ceilidh Trail School of Celtic Music Based in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
Recording Connection: an established music industry school where students train for careers as professional recording engineers. USA based.
- Augusta Heritage Center in Elkins, WV, USA. Has a good range of classes etc on folk and old time music, dancing and instruments.
- Mobile Sound Recording Services East Sussex based recording facilities specialising in Folk music.
- Burwell Bash A residential folk music summer school at Burwell House in Cambridgeshire offering both instrumental and band tuition.
- Bodhranworld.com Bodhran workshops in Sydney Australia and London England.
- Northumberland Live Music Association are planning to hold music workshops. Contact them for more info.
- Leeds School of Music
- Kerry Fiddles - Irish fiddle lessons and courses.
- Total Vocal - Everything vocal: coaching, workshops, technique, performance opportunites, etc.
- Traditional Music Making - Organised music workshops and sessions in Gloucestershire
If you would like us to link to your folk music site, (preferably in return for a link back to this site!) Please Email me - Pete McClelland (Pete@Hobgoblin.Co.UK)